Saturday, January 6, 2018

Grandma and 5-year-old in Florida

This in from Kate Schott.

I met a sweet (all alone, barefoot, mismatched pajamas) 5-year-old last night in a McDonald’s bathroom off a highway somewhere between Disney World and Miami Beach.

Grandma was in the restaurant having a meltdown, because the child had run away from her to go to the bathroom.

“I can’t handle this! I’ve got two babies to look after!” The other baby was in the stroller holding an empty bottle and crying.

Grandma continued to shout every once in a while when we were all back in the restaurant. I’m guessing drugs or severe mental health issues played a role here too. But the stress of taking care of kids is real, too. All parents know it.

I told her I would help. I told her I’m a mom, too. Five-year-old sat with us and we chatted. I learned that they lived in the Motel 6 down the street with Mom and Grandma. There was a Dad, but he’s not around anymore.

I wanted to ask more questions, but I didn’t. I wanted to help more, but all I could do right then and there was help Grandma by watching over 5-year-old for a few moments.


This story doesn’t have some grand happy ending. I’m not going to ask you to donate money or vote one way or another. What I am asking you to do is think about how you can alleviate poverty in your corner of the world. I promise it will improve your life and an entire community. Every little bit counts. We do it by talking to our kids about poverty (and drugs and education and mental health).

A few weeks ago my daughter and I researched charities in Chicago that would allow 8-year-olds to volunteer. We are so excited to work with Lakeview Pantry when we return from Florida.


¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.

Kate Schott lives in Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood with her husband, two children and four feral cats. She believes that we all have a responsibility to care for underserved populations—be they animals, neglected children or homeless adults. She served as a writing coach on one of the PICTURE THIS Projects project I also worked on. She previously worked as a communications consultant and loves yoga, bourbon and meeting new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment